• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Excessive Farting, please help...

M

Mr_Explosion

Hello Bluelight.

So I have been having the problem of farting a lot recently. I put it down to my alcohol consumption, but this has ceased for the last week and the farting still remains. It averages about 4-5 small farts an hour I guess. My diet is ok; I eat cereal, juice, coffee and brown bread for breakfast. Bananas, tuna, tomatoes and yoghurt as snacks, then whatever dinner they are serving at my canteen (usually meat and some rice / chips). I have not been doing any fitness recently but plan on changing that soon.

It really is making me quite self conscious... Thanks for any help.

ha. well to be honest the smell is more important than the frequency... if they smell really bad like toxic gas (literally) then your body is getting rid of toxins still but if they have no smell then that's ideal because that usually means there are few toxins being released = few toxins in the body = healthy

coffee is a major culprit for me, gas-wise.

also, "Mr_Explosion" . . hilarious.

Gormur said:
if they smell really bad like toxic gas (literally) then your body is getting rid of toxins still but if they have no smell then that's ideal because that usually means there are few toxins being released = few toxins in the body = healthy
Nonsense imo.
The bad smell being a sign of toxicity is largely not true. Bad smell is a result of certain fats or sulpher compounds. Hard boiled eggs along with something that produces a good quantity of gas like bran fiber will prove this true. Cabbage is another example of a sulphery food that is going to add to flatus stink.

Over eating is a major cause of gas, as is anything that is not well digested. Fiber is by definition indigestable and high fiber foods are common causes of gas. Eating more slowly sometimes helps one have less gas. Chewing ones food fully can help. Constipation is a common cause of gas. Most people have some foods that have to be done in small quantities or not at all, or they suffer the consequences.

In ayurvedic medicine extreme gasiness, constipation, and being mentally spacey are considered a sign of a vata crisis, in case that system interests you at all. Exercise often speeds up digestion & elimination some and can result in less gas for some people.

I had a bout of pretty bad gas for a while and I traced it down to meat. I gave it up a few months prior but still ate it occasionally with family. It would never give me gas before but all of a sudden it started to give me, and continues to give me, such gnarly gas that just for that reason I can't eat meat again. Even tuna will give it to me. And if I eat even just a small portion it will still give me gas for around a weeks time. Maybe that is the culprit?

I know excessive gas is a symptom of yeast infection. Do you have any symptoms of that too? The ones I know of are itchy bum, sometimes itchy genitals, and raw-feeling mouth. Just an idea.

Try a shot or two of Jagermiester. It has a lot of "carminatives" in it.

Also, try Cumin. I found that works well, too.

Another thing is yogurt (over a period of time).

I've heard of cumin causing gas. Anyway, passing gas is good, if you're constipated, the first thing the nurse wants to know is if you/the patient are/is passing gas and if so, that's no cause for concern and use a laxative. If not, you're in trouble.

Also TV doctor Dr Oz said that the odor is important, a healthy person's gas doesn't stink.

It might be from the wrong combination of foods.

2hyjwh0.jpg

I had a period about two weeks ago where I had terrible guts.

I farted in the toilets at work and I was so disgusted by the smell, I had to leave and go to the toilets on another floor. I put it down to living on junk due to being so busy.

You know something's wrong when you're repulsed by your own farts. :D

Guess what, my downstairs neighbour was trying to sell the apartment below when i was dexming with bottle of sorbitol couch med. It causes a lot of farting and diarrhea, i was doing it on the toilet(Shlooosh!!! Prrrr-prop!!!shlooosh!!! etc) and the man asked why someone is harassing and flushed their own. It definitely isn't normal poop. IMHO didn't sell.

I've heard of cumin causing gas.

That is definitely not true. Yes, it makes it evacuate very quickly (which is the point), but it doesn't cause it.

In fact, there is evidence that the use of Cumin was not originally for taste, but actually as medicine against this very problem. Cumin is very common in Mediterranean (especially north african) food which contains a lot of legumes and onion. This was one of the reasons Cumin was a valuable trade resource, especially with the Romans.